Tuesday, April 20, 2010

“own your words…even if occasionally you have to eat them”

I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. It has been fun catching up with people I haven’t seen or talked to in a very long time. It is interesting to get a glimpse at what goes on in other people’s daily lives. But I wonder, what is it about Facebook that makes people say things they wouldn’t normally say out loud? This drives me crazy – especially when it comes to religion and politics. There doesn’t seem to be any respect or integrity in their words. I understand and quite often respect other people’s opinions on religion and politics. I have my own strong opinions, but quite often keep them to myself because they are just that…my own opinions. I get frustrated when people take what they hear as fact, post it for the world to see, but haven’t done their homework to see if what they are saying is actually truth.

And the insults – the childish name calling, the lack of any form of respect for the leader of our country…what does this teach our children? I was not the biggest fan of President Bush. I did not respect A LOT of the things he did while in office…but I never would have called him Satan, the Devil, and a whole lot worse that I have seen on FB about President Obama. I have even seen a faux "prayer" to God for Obama's death. Nice.

My “friend” list on FB may have to be shortened...it’s too bad, because again, I enjoy a good, healthy debate every now and then…but the rest of it I can do without.

1 comment:

  1. I wandered over from BlogFrog's "The FencePost" community, and just had to comment on this post. I've been struggling with the same issue. It saddens me that civil, adult conversation seems to slip by the wayside, and it's considered acceptable for people to "pray" for the death of our president. Different points of view are one thing, but there are ways to share them without crossing those lines.

    ReplyDelete