Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Reunited and it feels so good…Part IV

This is the final part of “My Story” regarding the events that took place this past summer…to read from the beginning click on the following - Part I, Part II and Part III.

So my first full day at home I had Nate drive us out to my parents house. It was super hot outside and Aidan wanted to go in the pool – I figured I could relax on their couch as easily as my own and I wanted to see my family! My dad and I hung out in the house while Lucas slept and everyone else was outside playing in the pool. It was a good day. My dad and I had some good talks.


One thing weighing on his mind as well as my own was the rift we had in our family with my oldest sister. I really felt compelled to do something about it. My dad encouraged me. I think he knew he didn’t have much longer and really wanted to know that everyone was okay. I’m not going to get into the specifics, but what I will say is that the timing was good – Dad needed to see Kris and the girls and they needed to see him. We didn’t have a lot of time with him after that point, but I know we all made the most of it and he was happy. It has been nothing but a blessing having Kris and her family back in our lives and I couldn’t be happier.

My boys have all these additional people to love them and they LOVE it!

What amazing women my three nieces have turned out to be (not to mention each of them is absolutely beautiful!).

My dad lost his battle with cancer on September 11, 2010. It is still very hard for me to even write about it now. I still miss him every day. He was such a good man and an amazing father. As you can imagine the holidays were filled with all kinds of emotions. I said several times I wish we could have just skipped them all together this year (I think I actually tried by scheduling my final surgery on Dec. 27th). We have gotten through the holidays and birthday parties and family gatherings remembering him, celebrating him and just enjoying each other. It is such a great loss not having him with us but we are hanging onto each other and getting through it.

I just recently had my final surgery. I was filled will all kinds of fear about going under again – honestly, I was terrified. But I was also so ready to get it over with and move on. Anyone who has had surgery may be able to relate to this – when you go into an operating room you almost catch your breath. It is stark white, lots of lights, sterile and so cold. That feeling was still too fresh in my mind and as I about to well up with tears as we entered the operating room, instead, I entered into a team of doctors cheering for me. It turns out several of them had participated in some of my previous surgeries and were excited to be participating in my final surgery. I knew I was in good hands.

My recovery has been going good and I am excited to put this medical saga behind me. As I’ve said before, I really feel as though I have been given a gift. This year I turn 40 (yikes!) and I plan to celebrate. I’m excited to see what the next chapter of this life will be and what God’s plan is for me…because I am convinced now more than ever that He has one!

Thanks for letting me share!

2 comments: