Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My Story, Part II

This is a continuation of the events that happened this past summer…to read Part I click Here

While I was out…

Things were pretty bad. I had developed a bleeding disorder and during that time I had 11 surgeries, most of which were due to trying to stop bleeding. I believe I was given around 110 units of blood. At some point my organs were failing and they weren’t sure if I was going to make it through this ordeal. The medical details are far more extensive than this, but I don’t really want to get into all of that.



What I do know is that Nathan and my mom didn’t leave my side. Nate’s family came to town. Everyone pitched in to help with the kids. Nathan had lots of love and support wrapped around him during this time when he didn’t know if I was going to come home. My mom was dealing with my father being so sick at the time and her daughter being in the hospital. Our families came together and really came through helping out in any way they could – all I can say is AMAZING. I can’t express enough how thankful that during this time ALL my boys were loved and supported and cared for.

One of my favorite stories was when Nathan was going to take Lucas home from the hospital. I had picked out what I thought was the perfect going home outfit. It was a super soft bamboo blue/brown sleepsac from beba bean with a matching hat and blanket - Adorable! Neither Anna nor Nathan could figure out how to get it on him! They had to call a nurse for help.

And what can I say about these doctors and nurses at NMH? They became so invested in my care and in my family. Who knew – this big, community hospital was full of amazing doctors and nurses – full of Christians and good people who really came through for me and my family. There were nurses who came in and prayed with my family. Doctors spent the time with my family to explain every detail of my care and cried with my family. Again, I say AMAZING.

My family prayed for a miracle. There were so many people praying for me. My friend Sandy set up a Care Pages account and kept friends and family updated on my progress. My sister kept my Facebook page updated. Each of our families’ churches had people praying. I can’t believe how many prayers were said on my behalf – but if I ever doubted before I don’t any longer – I believe in the power of prayer. We got our miracle.

They encouraged my family to talk to me and I do remember hearing some of their voices, however in my dreams they were speaking to me in completely different situations…but 12 days later I woke up to the sounds of my family yelling at me to open my eyes. I don’t remember much about my days in ICU. A few days later I was transferred to Prentice to begin my recovery and have one more surgery.

To continue click on Part III

1 comment:

  1. you are an amazing person...kim you are well loved and i am so glad that you have pulled through and God answered my prayers for you!!

    ReplyDelete