Thursday, September 16, 2010

Going to work with dad....


Going through old pictures this past week I came across the one above. This picture may not seem like a great one or a big deal, but to me it brings back some of the best memories of my childhood.

My dad was a truck driver. Not a job that a lot of people would love - lots of driving on Chicago streets, carrying heavy bags of flour, sugar and baking supplies, getting up crazy early and working super long hours. My dad loved the comaraderie of his fellow drivers, not being stuck in an office all day, and being able to provide for his family. After getting up at 4:00 a.m. everyday he would still show up at my volleyball games to support me. Anyway...the real reason I love this photo...

He used to take me to work with him occasionally in the summer. I loved getting up early and meeting all the other truck drivers at the local diner for breakfast. I loved riding up high in his big truck. It seemed HUGE to me when I was so young. Dad delivered to lots of bakeries in the city along with a lot of the Dunkin Donuts. At each stop the bakers would all get excited to see me and spoil me with donuts and pastries and chocolate milk.

Dad was on a first name basis with all the bakers. He would chat with them about their families and I could tell he was so proud to show me off to them. I would try my hardest to lift the heaviest bags (some were 100 lbs) and he would always let me carry the 5 lb. bags in.

I still remember the smell of the back rooms of these bakeries. I get nostalgic whenever I go through the drive-thru of Dunkin Donuts. They open that little window to collect my money and I get a wiff of that smell...it takes me back and makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment