Monday, December 5, 2011

Three Fridays until Christmas....

So I slacked this past friday and forgot to do my "_ Fridays until Christmas post"... I have been packing like CRAZY for our move on Saturday!

So my thought this week on helping out small businesses this Christmas is gift cards. There are always the gift cards from Target, Best Buy...you know the usual. My mom gets so annoyed by this - she says it is so impersonal. I kind of agree. But what about a gift card to a small business? That's a little more personal - it could be for a service or an item last week I recommended The Tea Sanctuary) ...here are a few of my favs:

Lawn Care/Shoveling/Raking Gift Certificate
What about that elderly neighbor who lives on your block...the one your kids sometimes refer to as "Grandma ___"...why not treat her to free snow shoveling? Lawn Mowing? If you live on the south side I've got a great referral (shameless brother plug here...) Creekside Total Maintenance

Kids Haircut and Play Center
Pickles Playroom
I love this new small business in Lincoln Square...where else can you take your child for a haircut, let your other kids play in a kid-friendly playroom and enjoy a cup of coffee? Great idea for a winter activity!

How about a pampering gift - mani/pedi or a massage. There are so many local places you could support this way - and who doesn't love a reason to pamper yourself? Especially as moms, we quite often skip spending the money on these kinds of things for ourselves to get things/do things for our kids!

Lastly (another shameless plug here)....I do offer gift certificates for Photography Sessions - this is a great idea for a mom who is having a baby, or for a grandma to have pictures taken with the grandkids...

Anyway, I just hope if you are considering purchasing a gift certificate this season you think about the small businesses in your area that you can support before going to the big box stores. Have fun shopping!


No comments:

Post a Comment