Tuesday, February 15, 2011

90 Minutes In Heaven

I just finished reading the book 90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper. I am curious to know what other people think about this book. I know it is pretty controversial but I’m going to give my review anyway ;-)

(photo courtesy of Google images)

Prior to this summer I didn’t have any interest in reading this book. I had heard about it, but I am a pretty big skeptic. I thought it was probably a very nice story with a great message.

If you haven’t read this book it is the story of Don Piper. He was in a horrible accident and was pronounced dead by the EMT. After 90 minutes (and someone basically climbing in his car and praying for him) he woke up. During that time he says he went to heaven. The story continues about his recovery and how his story has helped others.

This summer after delivering my second son, Lucas, I was in a coma for about two weeks. When I woke up I remembered some pretty vivid things happening while I was out. It was so real. The colors were unbelievably vivid and it took two days for my family to convince me that what I dreamed hadn’t really happened. I was so convinced.

There is a lot of what he says that I can relate to. At one point he says “Some people who had known me for a long time see me as some kind of courageous figure...I’m glad they’ve been heartened by my example, but I’ve had a great deal of difficulty accepting myself as a source of inspiration and courage. I don’t know how to cope with their admiration and praise, because I didn’t do anything.”

Just the other day I received a beautiful card and a note from a women that I have never met that had heard about what happened this summer from my father-in-law. She says she continues to pray. In the book it says “I’m thoroughly convinced that God answers prayers. Answered prayer is why I’m still alive.” I believe this as well. I can’t tell you how many people have reached out to me to tell me that they have been praying for me.

Also, it was very humbling for me to let other people help me, both in the hospital and once I got home. I am not a patient person. I am a very determined person which can also be thought of as “stubborn.” He writes “My family and friends saw me the first days of the accident…they loved being able to help me. In a way, this was part of their own recovery…” I see the emotion behind my family’s words when they talk about those first days in the hospital and I feel pretty removed from it. The above puts it into perspective for me.

What do I think now of 90 Minutes In Heaven? Unfortunately I am still a skeptic. I believe that he believes he went to heaven. I think he had some pretty vivid dreams and woke up absolute in his belief of what happened. But I think by now he may know that it might have been a fabulous dream. Through his story and this book he has helped a lot of people turn to God. Is that a bad thing? I think not.

His description of heaven is, well, heavenly. Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment